National Strategy for Public Libraries in Scotland
Author: Carnegie UK Trust
In 2014, the Scottish Library and Information Council convened the National Strategy for Public Libraries in Scotland Strategic Group. The Strategic Group was tasked with developing Scotland’s first national strategy for public libraries in Scotland. The Strategy has been informed by a process of engagement including independent deliberative research, a questionnaire to gather views, presentations and a series of visits to public libraries.
The national strategy sets out the following vision, mission and outcome for public libraries across Scotland:
- Vision: Scotland’s public libraries are trusted guides connecting all of our people to the world’s possibilities and opportunities.
- Mission: Scotland’s public libraries are part of a shared civic ambition to fulfil the potential of individuals and communities.
- Outcome: Every step individuals and communities take towards fulfilling their potential adds to Scotland’s social, economic and cultural wellbeing.
The strategy sets out six strategic aims and eighteen recommendations to deliver these aims. Each aim is clearly linked to national outcomes and indicators outlined in the Scottish Government’s National Performance Framework. The aims are:
1. Promote reading literacy and learning
2. Promote digital inclusion
3. Promote economic wellbeing
4. Promote social wellbeing
5. Promote culture and creativity
6. Libraries as excellent public services
Please click on the image to download the report (PDF).
The background reports that informed the strategy and more information on the Strategic Group can be accessed here
towards a wellbeing framework and draft programme for government
Our report explores the potential for the NI Executive to place wellbeing at the heart of its work through the...Read More
the enabling state in practice: evidence from innovators
Our new report introduces the learning from 6 innovative projects which show the current ‘state of play’ of the Enabling...Read More
carnegie library lab: final project snapshot from cohort 1
Carnegie Library Lab is aimed at enhancing innovation and leadership in the public library sector in the UK and Ireland. This...Read More