Engaging Libraries is a programme for public libraries across the UK and Ireland that want to pilot creative and imaginative public engagement projects on health and wellbeing. Public libraries have a key role in delivering on health and wellbeing as outlined in national library strategies across the UK and Ireland and the Society of Chief Librarians’ Universal Health Offer. The programme is a partnership between the Wellcome Trust and Carnegie UK Trust and is the outcome of joint work between the Wellcome Trust and the Society of Chief Librarians.
Engaging Libraries offers:
- £5,000 – £15,000 to deliver a public engagement project on a health or wellbeing theme. While most applications are expected to fall within this bracket, there is an opportunity to request up to £25,000 for more ambitious projects
- A package of support from library and public engagement experts
- Kick-starter day with the opportunity to share project ideas, get advice about public engagement and support to think about your evaluation. There will also be the chance to meet other projects.
- An external evaluation to ensure learning and experience can be shared more widely.
We are supporting 14 projects to complete activities between October 2017 and October 2018.
Experimental and innovative projects are welcomed and activities can be playful or serious. The programme is intended to be a learning process for all involved, not just for participants, but for the Trusts and broader public library sector.
The projects that will be participating in the Engaging Libraries programme are as follows. Click on the project name for more information.
- Release the Pressure: City of London
- No Filter: Essex
- Empathy Day: Jointly Essex, St. Helens, Libraries Unlimited in Devon and Sheffield Libraries
- The Final Party – Celebrating Death through Celebrations of Life: Redbridge
- Brainworks: East Dunbartonshire
- Talking ‘Bout Teddies: Dundee
- Great Minds!: Lancashire
- The Travelling Happiness Bar: Bolton
- Comics and Cosplay; Caring for Young Minds: Oldham
- Slipper Talk: Torfaen
- Teddy Bears Picnic: London Borough of Bexley
- Library Takeovers: Creating a Space for All: Somerset
- You Can’t Judge a Book by its Cover: Norfolk
- Body, Image and Mind: Leeds