Engaging Libraries Phase 2 will support public libraries to run public engagement activities on research within the themes of health, society and culture. It will help to facilitate partnerships between public libraries and researchers, and spark people’s curiosity around topics that are relevant or interesting to them. The programme is a partnership between the Carnegie UK Trust, Wellcome and the Wolfson Foundation.
There are 14 projects taking part in Phase 2, which is running now and comes to a close in November 2021. You can read more about the projects here.
The Programme Aims
Engaging Libraries Phase 2 has three core aims. The programme aims to:
- Energise and empower people through engagement with research about health, society and culture in one of the following ways:
- Enable people to access, use and respond to research
- Enable people to value and think critically about research
- Enable people to play a role in formulating research
- Enable public libraries to build upon and explore their civic role as safe spaces for participation and engagement with research.
- Facilitate partnerships between public libraries and universities or Independent Research Organisations (IROs).
Further information about the programme’s aims, ethos and practicalities are available in the Engaging Libraries Phase 2 Application Pack, as well as case studies, definitions and guidance on approaching researchers.
We also published a blog series designed to support potential applicants to Engaging Libraries Phase 2.
2020 Update and Digital Learning
During 2020, project work was postponed due to the global pandemic and national lockdown. Projects began work to adjust their plans to suit the covid context and most will deliver their public engagement activities during 2021. In December 2020, we published a digital learning leaflet, which shares the learning of two of the projects who delivered their activities digitally during the peak of the crisis and first national lockdown. You can find the leaflet here.
If you have any queries please get in touch by emailing [email protected] – we’re happy to help!
The first phase of Engaging Libraries was a pilot programme, run in partnership by the Carnegie UK Trust and Wellcome. It supported 14 projects across 16 public library services to experiment with creative and imaginative public engagement projects on health and wellbeing. Engaging Libraries: Learning from Phase 1 outlines learning, reflections and some case studies from the successful first phase of Engaging Libraries.